Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Trifecta Writing Challenge...4...3...2...

Ashleigh ran up the stairs two at a time, shedding her backpack on the landing and her Sperry's in the hall. Everything had taken so long! After school there was band and then swimming, and then Richard with his special orders at Burger King!

Ashleigh was intent upon entering the Trifecta Writing Challenge - she never missed it - she knew she was going to be a writer after college, and this was great practice! In vain she tried once, twice, three times to log onto the internet...nothing! The router was always screwing up!

She called Richard and had him log on.

"Just tell me the word that I have to include in this week's entry!" she demanded, urgently. "I already have a hundred twenty five words written, but I always hit exactly three hundred and thirty three. Its kind of my thing."

"Sooo," Richard drawled. "You just need me to read you this one word, and that's it?"

"Yes!" screeched Ashleigh. "No! No, I need the definition too. And, please hurry. I have to submit it by 8:00!"

"How can you have the story partly written if I have not given you the main word yet?" asked Richard, clearly dragging out the time to his amusement and Ashleigh's despair.

"Because I am just that good!" she replied impatiently. "I could make it work even if you didn't give it to me until the very end. I'm on word number two hundred forty three right now."

"Well, that's very interesting," Richard answered, lazily. "The definition is: 'of inferior quality or worth - tawdry, sleazy."

"Two sixty five," muttered Ashleigh. "I still need time to copy this onto a jump drive and run it over to your house. So, what's the word? I only have forty words left to write."

"Well, it can also be 'contemptible because of lack of any fine, lofty, or redeeming qualities."

"Is the word 'Richard?'" asked Ashleigh. "Thirteen, twelve...."

"Sounds like you are getting down to the wire."

"Yea."

"'Cheap.'"





This post is for the Trifecta Writing Challenge! I'm new to it, and its addictive!

19 comments:

  1. Hahaha, great story here! This is funny! I could feel the tension and feel her frustration and desperation when he wouldn't tell her what the word was up until the very end...You have a great sense of humor! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It is kind of experimental and I did not know whether it would work and people would 'get it' - having her incorporate the actual word count into the story - LOL!

      Delete
  2. I think this story is fantastic. My daughter is in the School of Journalism at her college. I can totally picture this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Gina! I tried to make it true-to-life!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please allow a second comment. "because I am just that good " is a perfect line, one we all wish we could think of when under stress!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was funny! I would have suspected it was non-fiction had you submitted this at 7:59 tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Appreciate you coming by and taking a look!

      Delete
  7. As the one who often puts a literal spin on these prompts, I love it. A girl after my own heart.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was funny! I did really feel the tension, though. I wanted to conk Richard over the head with something. Stupid router. I have to unplug mine. One thing though -- "Sperry's" should just be "Sperrys" unless they are a brand name with a possessive in the name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was WONDERING about that with the shoes. That is a brand name - and I am not sure how they do it...I should check ;)

      Delete
  9. Ha, brilliant! I love this. Richard doesn't realise how dangerous a game he was playing. Do not come between a Trifectan and their word of the week. So, how many words of the weekend challenge have you written already?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never heard of the Trifecta writing challenge but I LOVE your writing, Libby. HILARIOUS.
    I love how she says "Is the word Richard?"
    Should you spend less time blogging and more time working on short stories or a novel? Just sayin'

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Sim! Wow - thanks for saying that...I am doing April Scriptwriting Month!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great job Libby!! You inspire me to join Trifecta writing challenge. I look forward to reading more of your writing.

    ReplyDelete