Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Witchy Wondrous Words Wednesday

I just finished reading "The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane." It was a good book! I went to the (great) website where the above link leads, and found a Witchipedia widget to install that gives you the witch word of the day on your blog. I thought it would be PERFECT for WWW. I tried to download it and it just was not there. I think that may have something to do with fact that the book came out in 2009 and I bought my copy recently from a $4.99 bin at the grocery story, so the widget is probably out of date.


So, my great plan was foiled. But, not wanting to give up so easily, I found THIS witch dictionary at the Burkittsville site. You may remember Burkittsville from the Blair Witch Project.

You will know a lot of the words there. Here are some goodies though...

Cense - To purify with incense (makes sense - haha!)

Clairaudience - A psychic ability in which individuals can hear sounds and voices not heard by others.

Oneiroscopy - The interpretation of dreams.

I prepared this post for Wondrous Words Wednesday at bermudaonion.net.

14 comments:

  1. You found a great bargain! All of your words are new to me - I think I can remember, and possibly use, cense. I will probably recognize clairaudience if I see it again. Thanks for playing along!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...it is a beautiful hardback book and a great story...I got an Amy Tan book the same way once, except it was Walgreens - LOL!

      Clairaudience is interesting...all those people who hear voices may not be crazy after all :)

      Delete
    2. especially those who know someone named Claire.

      Delete
  2. Three interesting words, thanks! for sharing.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2012/05/wondrous-words-wednesday_09.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to hear you liked this. I started to listen to it but couldn't get into it, I think I need to read it instead. I look forward to your review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Martha! There are some books that don't work for me as audio-books... I don't know why. It is interesting because Matthew Pearl wrote a recommendation for this book, and I could not do his books as audio-books either. I had to read them. (I'm a huge fan of his work!) I wonder if other people feel that way too about audio vs. print(?)

      Delete
  4. Great words! I love that there's a verb form for incense.

    I didn't get a Wondrous Words Wednesday post written this week because I was busy writing a Liebster Blog award post -- and you are one of my winners! Liebster Blog Award.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Cool! I have not won any blog awards before - well, I won Trifecta for writing a blog post, but I think that is different. Thank you :)

      Delete
  5. I like your joke and words. It all makes "sense."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was wondering if people were getting my little joke ;) Thanks, Tea!

      Delete
  6. A witch dictionary...how cool is that? I think you are now officially a "witchy woman".

    ReplyDelete
  7. What great words, all new to me of course.

    ReplyDelete