Saturday, May 26, 2012

Weekend Cooking in Venice!

I just read "A Thousand Days in Venice" by Marlena de Blasi.

She is a middle-aged food writer and chef. She is visiting Venice for work and - get this - a man sees her in a restaurant and calls her. The waiter tells her there is a call for her on the land line and she goes and takes the call. The Italian man on the other end has fallen in love with her at first sight.

The next day and the next she goes back to the restaurant and he calls and calls again.

They meet. They fall in love. (Well, I guess SHE falls in love, since he had already.) And, they get married. She uproots her entire life in the States and moves to Venice.

And, this book is her story.


This post was written as part of Weekend Cooking over at BethFishReads.com. Weekend Cooking is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, fabulous quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to head over to Beth Fish Reads, grab the button, and link up anytime over the weekend.  (The button is on your right...)

Throughout the book, Marlena, being a food person, is cooking, eating, shopping for food, and describing all of this to us. At the end of the book are sumptuous recipes. I have tried one and am sharing it here today, but I am going to try two others - Fresh Pasta with Roasted Walnut Sauce and also A Gratin of Leeks. But here today, I have made her recipe for:

Lemon Gelato with Vodka and Sparkling Wine

1/2 pint lemon ice cream or sherbet
4-6 ice cubes
4 ounces vodka
1 cup sparkling wine (in the Veneto, it's the ever present Prosecco)
shredded zest of lemon












Place the ice cream or sherbet, the ice, vodka, and wine in a blender and whirl until it's thick, creamy and barely pourable. Transfer it to iced wineglasses, sprinkle on the lemon zest, and serve with small spoons.













31 comments:

  1. What an interesting story! I also love this cocktail you've made - I'm going to try it for myself very soon. It sounds like a perfect treat for a summer evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really am glad I found this going into summer time. May end up being my 'go to' cocktail!

      Delete
  2. Such a beautiful story! Rachael Ray has a similar cocktail, Champagne Freeze, and it is always a hit at our summer parties. Hmm, I think I may have all the ingredients on hand right now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These really are good. 7-11 should put them in the Slurpee machine. haha!

      Delete
  3. What a romantic story! And a delicious cocktail to have while reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a fairy tale, and I love that she is not particularly young...

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a wonderful story. And, what a great cocktail for summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joy! You gotta love a book with cocktail recipes :)

      Delete
  5. Wow, does that ever look yummy and refreshing. And the book looks interesting, too.
    I love vodka drinks -- and gondolas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cipriano! I'm glad you stopped by - was wondering where you had gone off to! This weekend's Trifecta is a poem... hint, hint... Mine is on the next post...

      Delete
  6. Ciao bella! Must read that book. Sounds so romantic :). The gelato looks refreshing. Perfect for summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jama! I'll bet you would like it :) Thanks for coming by!

      Delete
  7. Oooh, that sounds great. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too, Carole! Thanks~

      Delete
    2. Hey, thanks for looking at the yellow curry paste. Hope you do give it a go.

      Delete
  8. Well! That recipe looks to die for and the book looks pretty interesting also--I am thinking I have seen it before but never picked it up. The titles of the other recipes you want to try sound lovely too--I think leeks get overlooked far too often!
    *smiles*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim :) The drinks are good - I made them for my parents today!

      I can't wait to try the other two recipes. Hope the kids will eat them - LOL!

      Delete
  9. oh, I must check this book out. I love Venice. I was there last year and hope to go back this fall and am reading a book called Venice Noir right now..lol
    Have to try that Lemon Gelato with Vodka and Sparkling Wine too. yum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so great that you get to go! I have a button at the top of my right column for the 2012 Book Pilgrimage. Basically, you read a book and then travel to the place where it is set, and then come back and post a joint book review/travel review for us!

      This would be perfect for that :)

      Delete
  10. This book has been on my TBR shelf for too long! I was going to read it for the Venice in February challenge, but got distracted by something else. Now I really want to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll like it - its very readable and relaxing.

      Delete
  11. Yum! I love anything that calls for lemons!! Sounds so refreshing!! Nice friend that sent you the book ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a very fun book. I too am a lemon freak. This sounds like the perfect summer drink. Fourth of July anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like another one for me...with one of those beauties to go along with it. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think I read this book years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The book sounds good and that drink sounds divine!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful story! Is it a true story? I am very thirsty all of a sudden:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! All of those recipes sound amazing, but the lemon gelato sounds perfect for a summertime cookout. I've have to remember it for the next time we're grilling.

    ReplyDelete