Saturday, January 21, 2012

Total (book) Recall

When you are out and about do you see things that remind you of passages from books? Happens to me all the time. Here are some pictures that I just took of giant sycamores in the river bottom. Every time I see them I think of "Where the Red Fern Grows." I wanted to find the exact passage in the book, and I found this cool website where you can look up a word or phrase from a lot of books at once. Here is the site: http://www.online-literature.com scroll down to the advanced search. I put in 'sycamore' and got 291 results.

Here is a sample:

(Wordsworth) The day is come when I again repose/ Here, under this dark sycamore" (890).

The sycamore, I have hinted, was a broad tree, and must, in summer, have borne a goodly load of leaves: but now, in November, these were strewn thick over ... www.online-literature.com/quiller-couch/splendid-spur/1/

Underneath the elm's long branches. To the pavement bending o'er; Underneath the mossy willow. And the dying sycamore. With the myriad stars in beauty ... www.online-literature.com/poe/2171/

[Singing] The poor soul sat sighing by a sycamore tree, Sing all a green willow: Her hand on her bosom, her head on her knee, Sing willow, willow, willow: ... www.online-literature.com/shakespeare/othello/14/

Loud on the withered leaves of the sycamore-tree by the window. Keenly the lightning flashed; and the voice of the echoing thunder. Told her that God was in ... www.online-literature.com/henry_longfellow/evangeline/5/

Of course, after that I find out that the text of "Where the Red Fern Grows" is still under copyright so they can't have the full text online. But, you remember the part - when Old Dan and Little Ann tree their first coon in the biggest sycamore in the river bottom and Billy has to hack away all day and all night with the axe to chop the tree down? It almost goes without saying that I loved and still love this book. I read it to my youngest son, Alex, not too long ago, and more or less cried uncontrollably for the whole last chapter. (Another fine parenting tip brought to you by "LibbysBookBlog!")



I saw something else on the same walk on the Loveland Bike Trail that reminded me of another book, "A Painted House" by John Grisham. I really liked this book. It was about a little boy that lived in an unpainted house and longed for a painted house. I think the unpainted house symbolized poverty to him and a painted house symbolized security. Here is a picture I took of the unpainted house.

No comments:

Post a Comment