Friday, March 23, 2012

Weekend Cooking - Late Night Bacon

Lately I have written a lot of very serious Weekend Cooking posts. I have written a couple anti-GMO seed rants. I have written a couple about classical literature - Hemingway and Hugo. And, you probably have the impression that I am a very serious, old, intellectual type. And, you are right.

No!! NO!! Well, I guess I am a little old - if you are twenty or something. Anyhoo, I decided to seriously lighten up this week. And, besides, I came across the most hysterical food related thing that I just HAD to share. So, without further blathering, I bring you...Late Night Bacon.

The Late Night Bacon Meme is apparently not brand new, but it is new to me (see aforementioned description of me). Hopefully, it is new to some of you too :)

So, here is the deal, as told by KnowYourMeme.Com -- "In November 2010, celebrity chef and cooking show host Rachael Ray’s Food Network recipe article “Late Night Bacon”[1] suddenly began receiving the attention of trolls who pointed out the article’s verbose instructions on how to cook bacon in the microwave. The recipe article was originally posted in May 2004.
Baffled by the overly simplistic recipe, some readers began responding to Ray’s article with tongue-in-cheek reviews of the instruction in the comments section.

LocalBoyMakesGoo: “Tried this recipe last night. The bacon was great, but the paper towels tasted awful.”

I LOVE BACON!: “It’s only 6:54pm… can I make this yet? Or does it need to be later?”

midnightsky: “I think a nice glass of water would wash down this bacon well. So I get the glass out of the cupboard… but I’m not really sure what to do next. I would appreciate any help. Thanks.”

OK, Libby here again. So, to participate you are to troll the recipes section of FoodNetwork.com looking for silly recipes and then leaving comments! Here is a hint - I read that Rachel Ray has a good one for Pineapple Wedges, and Paula Deen has a "must read" recipe for English Peas. If any of you actually do this, let me know!!! Although they may not wish to claim me this week ;) I am linking this article to Weekend Cooking (see the button in the right column) at BethFishReads.com!

27 comments:

  1. LOL...very amusing! I might have a go at this tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do - I want to read your FoodNetwork comments - LOL!

      Delete
  2. This is great laughing this early in the morning has to be good for you even if the bacon is not:) here is my recipe for Chewy Granola Bars

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a riot. It's crazy isn't it. I wonder if there is one about filling the tea kettle and turning on the heat. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They would need to include explicit instructions so people did not burn their houses down :)

      Delete
    2. I learned from an English friend that there is a British ISO Standard for making tea. Wikipedia has a description: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_3103

      I always thought that was hoot. So is this, Libby, thanks for the laugh!

      Delete
    3. Cool! I'm going to go look that up!

      Delete
  4. What a hoot! But I guess there are some people who really need explicit instructions...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I feel mean, but every time I go on FoodNetwork and read the comments I start laughing so hard my kids come in to see what is going on!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I thought the Weekend Cooking peeps would get a kick out of this :)

      Delete
  6. This is hilarious! Thanks for the laughs today. And I don't mind your being an old, serious, intellectual type. If you're old, I'm a fossil. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No you're not! Your Weekend Cooking post today was one of the all time greats!

      Delete
  7. Aw, Libby you write the most delightful posts--whether serious or light-hearted you make my weekend cooking hopping happy! :)

    I looked up Rachel Ray's Pineapple Wedges. SOOoo funny! I liked this one:

    "[...] After sucessfully making this and the Late Night Bacon, I think that I, too, am finally ready to become a TV chef!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!! Sign me up - I want a show too! I am so glad that you liked this too. I cannot stop laughing when I read the FoodNetwork comments. Also, THANKS for the kind words :)

      Delete
    2. You're welcome. :)
      There was another funny one there about waiting to read a recipe from Rachel on how to boil water or make ice. haha!

      Delete
  8. I have never heard of the Late Night Bacon meme--this is way too funny. I love the comment about the paper towel tasting terrible. Ohhhh, poor Rachael Ray. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, poor Rachael Ray - there is a part of me that feels mean laughing...on the other hand - Late Night Bacon?!?!?!?

      Delete
  9. Hysterically funny food comments. I love the paper towel taste. I'll have to troll the FN's website for other examples. Thanks for alerting me to this meme-it is new to me also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you find any more good ones, please let me know!

      Delete
  10. That was fun. I liiked the comment about the paper towels not tasting awful. It reminds me that, when I give someone cooking instructions, I need to be very clear.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hee hee. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete