Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Tears of the Giraffe

"Tears of the Giraffe" by Alexander McCall Smith is the second of the "No 1 Ladies' Detective Agency" books. I have been reading them in odd order -- every time one shows up in the library I read it. Thus, I have read several books in the series, but have only just finished the second one.


If you have not heard of Mma Precious Ramotswe yet - you are in for a treat! The New York Times Review of Books calls her, "The Miss Marple of Botswana." To learn more about Mma Ramotswe and the No 1 Ladies' Detective Agency you can follow this link to my review of the first book.

The purpose of TODAY'S short post is just a little FYI. I read this whole second book wondering where the 'tears of the giraffe' came in. It was a delightful second book full of more detective work - a missing son, a cheating wife, etc. But, at the end Precious buys a basket with a 'tears of the giraffe' design in it! I googled it - of course - and here it is! See the tears?!? The basket is from a website selling handmade baskets from Botswana!

2 comments:

  1. LOvely post - the No.1 Ladies are indeed a treat. And your picture find too - isn't the internet wonderful as a research tool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read the books, but I truly enjoyed watching the DVD of the HBO show with Jill Scott. It was a real treat. I especially loved the tea interludes! : )

    ReplyDelete